- Loutro is the only natural harbor on the south coast of Crete.
- Loutro is peaceful - it is small and feels like a village even if 95% of the people here in the summer are visitors.
- Really Loutro is a place to let days flow by as they will. When you meet people who're poetic utterances appeal - converse, when striding rocky paths is the urge - proceed, when the water beckons - shout back / get in; eat and relax.
- You shouldn't come here expecting entertainment - the reward is being in Loutro and listening to what your heart desires.
- The absence of cars and bikes makes it quiet and peaceful.
- Walking and hiking. For this Loutro is a paradise. Some come to walk the Imbros Gorge, visit the old village of Aradena. Walking via the Aradena gorge to Marmara Beach to take the afternoon boat, back to Loutro after a cooling swim and a drink at the beachside cafe.
- Discover the Imbros gorge. Less crowded and shorter than the famous Samaria, Imbros gorge is the perfect ravine for those who want to test their hiking skills and admire the local landscape. Take a day off from the lazy lounging on the beach of Loutro and catch the ferry to Chora Sfakia. Once there, jump on the bus that covers the route to Chania and stop at the entrance of Imbros. Access the gorge to make your way back South along the natural path of Imbros, surrounded by lush vegetation, high mountain walls, and in the company of some Cretan goats! Replenish your strength with a fresh juice in the taverna at the exit of the gorge and face the final walk back to the port of Chora Sfakion. If you choose to follow this trail, make sure to check the schedule for the last boat to Loutro. The hike through Imbros takes from 2 to 3 hours and it will put you in direct contact with Crete’s mountainous landscape and traditional atmosphere.
- Others walk up to Anopolis - via a seemingly vertical zig-zag path to reach, at 600 meters, the point where the valley becomes visible and the further expanses of the White Mountains (Lefka Ori) tower higher still in the distance. To have an Elliniko coffee and Sfakian pitta at a cafe and then descend, back to Loutro, still in time for breakfast.
- You may prefer idling, gazing, dreaming, re-charging. Some will laze through the day, glancing at the page of a book here and there, falling into conversation with others. Or spend a whole day where time does not matter and the biggest decision is which of the tavernas to choose for an evening meal.
- The tavernas offer fresh fish, lamb, a wide variety of vegetarian dishes, as well as grilled, roast, and other interesting local recipes. The desire for simple or elaborate platters, many flavors, and taste-treats are easily satisfied.
- Sunbathing on the beach (no topless bathing) - just taking a few steps, dipping in the water, and snoozing under a beach umbrella. Perhaps you will take a canoe out for an hour or a day and visit bays and beaches at will. Umbrellas and canoes can be rented from the hotel's beach assistant. (Nude sunbathing is freely pursued at, just a boat-trip-away, Sweetwater beach!).
- Caiques leave at 11 O'clock every day for Sweetwater and Marmara beach. The same boat does the return trip in the afternoon. This is also one of many ways to create an interesting walk - for example, taking the caique to Marmara or for a shorter walk on to Phoenix then walking across the hill back to Loutro.
- The alternative way. No more than 700 meters west of Loutro, you can visit the small beach of Finikas as well as the beach and Lykos. If you’re in the mood to hike a bit more, you’ll be able to reach the spectacular Marmara beach where you can go swimming or even snorkeling inside the marble sea caves. Walking along the coastal E4 path to the east, it’s also possible to spend a day in the beautiful Glyka Nera. Also known as Sweetwater beach, spending a day there means a time filled with relaxation, enjoying the crystalline waters on this white pebbled beach. There’s basic organization provided by the local taverna, however, it’s always safe to pack some cold drinks and lunch, especially if you are visiting very early or late in the season.
- Writing. reading, dreaming ... go slowly. Do sweet.....nothing at all!
- Nightlife. What? Nightlife in Loutro is just being here! No discos or clubs, just a bar or two where music is played softly - complementing the freshness of the air, the tranquility of the night. Nightlife here is you, your conversation, your next drink, your gaze out to sea, toward the horizon.
- Visit the castle and Roman-medieval ruins on the hill above Loutro. Walk a little or strenuous hikes - this is the perfect place to get your first taste of the mountain and sea-edge paths or to enjoy a challenge if you are athletically inclined.
- At "Marmara" the beach ends up the Aradena gorge. Walk through the gorge, and if you want you can also do buggy jumping.
- For those staying longer or feeling momentarily restless, hop on the ferry and take a ride to Agia Roumelli, here ends up the Samaria Gorge. If you wish you can see the last part ( till the famous narrow point " portes") of the gorge. Don't forget that you have to return to Loutro by ferry.
- Or maybe you are a bird lover, read more about bird watching.
- You can also take the ferry into Sfakia (Chora Sfakia or Sfakion) and spend a half-hour or a few hours there for a change of scene (check ferry schedules). Scuba diving could be an option at Sfakia Village or what about a Gavdos Island Boat Round Trip
- A great option to explore by the sea maybe some of the best beaches in Crete is by Sea Kayak. More information here.
- Or maybe you would like to join us for a unique sailing experience "Sailing Trip In South Chania-Most Stunning Beaches" or "Sunset Sailing Trip In Sfakia Area & Loutro Village" or "Sailing & Sea Kayak Trip To Gavdos Island & Best Beaches Of South Chania".
- More activities in South Chania Area.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
Deposit amount will be charged two weeks before your arrival.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
Balance amount is to be paid directly to Porto Loutro on the Hill at the time of stay.
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 2 weeks before arrival - full refund.
After that period, the deposit is not refundable if you cancel.
Not arriving at the hotel for your booking: the full balance will be charged (at the hotel's discretion).
Departure before booked departure date: at the hotel's discretion, the full balance may be charged by the hotel.
How To Get There
Porto Loutro On The Hill is located in Loutro, which is accessible by a 30 minutes trip on the ferry from Chora Sfakion.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (78km) and Heraklion (145km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
The closest airport to fly in to is Chania, but Heraklion has more flights available. From Chania Airport you can take a taxi to Chora Sfakia (about 1.5 hours) or take a taxi to Chania bus station and then by bus to Chora Sfakia (about 2 hours). The last bus from Chania to Chora Sfakia is at 14:00.
At Chora Sfakia the ferry departs 4-5 times a day for Loutro, starting at 10:30 in the morning (see ferry schedules on CreteTravel.com). If you wish you can use the Water Taxi service - ask for this when you book your rooms. Alison will also arrange a taxi for you if you want to reserve it in advance.
From Heraklion Airport the options are the same, including the choice of reserving a taxi in advance, the journey time to Loutro is 2.5 hours. By bus, you need to take the airport bus or taxi to the Chania bus station, buy your ticket to Chora Sfakia. You will change buses at Vrysses. The last bus from Vrysses to Chora Sfakia is at 14:30.
- By Sea
-Loutro is reached by sea - with the ferry from Sfakia (or Agia Roumeli, Sougia, or Paleohora).
-To get to Sfakia (Chora Sfakia) take the "Vrysses" turn about 28 KM east of Chania (26 kilometers from Rethymno).
(The journey from Vrysses to Chania takes between 40 and 55 minutes.}
-Please note that to get to Loutro you take the ferry from Sfakia (Chora Sfakia) which takes 20 minutes, consult the schedule on our Website ( South Coast Ferries ) for times and more information.
-You buy tickets at the ticket kiosk which is at the bottom of the hill after you enter Sfakia, straight on, and at the ferry landing on your right.
-Should weather turn bad, it is possible for ferry sailings to be canceled - so it is best to be flexible and take as part of your travel experience, the opportunity to stay overnight in Sfakia if necessary; or on rare occasions, get to enjoy an unexpected additional night's stay in Loutro! We cannot (yet) control the weather, nor indeed the mood of the sea......
- Parking your car at Sfakia's Port would cost ~ 3.00 Euros per day
PLEASE NOTE: We could offer you a taxi boat transfer to Loutro Village too, in case of late or early arrival. Just click here for more information.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
- By Walking
A few enthusiastic walkers do arrive in Loutro via the Samaria gorge, walking the 18 km with luggage upon their backs, then taking the ferry (about 45 minutes) from Agia Roumeli to Loutro. As an alternative, you can also drive from Chora Sfakion up to Anopolis village, park your car there, and then hike the winding path down to Loutro, this option will take you a bit more than an hour. Another way to reach Loutro is on foot. You can either walk along the coast on the E4 path (about 2 hours from Chora Sfakion). On your way there it’s possible to stop for a swim and a rest at the beaches of Glyka Nera or Timios Stavros.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Price includes breakfast. There is a terrace bar/cafe/restaurant serving breakfast, meals, drinks, ice creams, light snacks, and home-made cakes. The atmosphere guests find here is to be at home & relaxed.
- Internet Access: Free Voucher is providing to the guests of Porto Loutro as they use the services of the Cafe of the Hotel. Alternatively, vouchers could be bought (low cost) during the whole stay.
- Swimming Pool: Not necessary
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: On request
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Renting a car: As you will be taking the ferry to get to Loutro, please note that you cannot take a car with you to Loutro (it is car-free), so you will need to park your car in Sfakia harbour. Of course, if you are staying at Loutro for many days, perhaps it is better to use a taxi to travel to/from Sfakia, rather than have your rental car "sit" at the parking area.