- Apokoronas Prefecture is well known for its hospitable inhabitants, its beautiful traditional villages, and the unique natural beauty. It is worth visiting all of them since each one has its own particular color, traditions, folkways, and history. Stylos, Neo Chorio, Armeni, Kalives, Plaka, Gavalochori, Kefalas, Vamos, Pemonia, Paidochori, Exopoli, Kalamitsi, Fylaki, Vrysses, Vafes, Argyroupoli, only to name a few.
- The nearest beach in Kalyves is located at a distance of 10 km, while you may also visit the nearby beaches of Almyrida and Kyani Akti, all awarded with the blue flags.
- You may visit Stylos springs, walk along river Kiliaris, marvel at the biotope of Georgioupoli and the unique Lake Kourna found in Crete.
- If you prefer the mountains, there are also many trails to follow and interesting villages to visit. Ramni, Kares, Macheri, Kampi, Katohori, Fres, Tzitzifes, Embrosneros, Asi Gonia all with typical and authentic Cretan atmosphere. Going around the area you will come across hospitable coffee houses and beautiful taverns with traditional Cretan cuisine. Very often you will be invited for a raki from the locals. Do not refuse it and do not miss this opportunity to know them better.
- Or visit a Turkish fort and the Minoan hill town of Aptera, with Roman cisterns, ruined Doric temples, and a still-intact 12th-century monastery; highlights of the new excavations are the foundations, flagstones, water ducts, and more ... fabulous views as well. The Minoan Tombs in the same area are also impressive.
- In the entire region, there are more than 200 caves, the nearest Samonas cave located next to our settlement as well as the church of Agios Samonas
- The gorge of Diktamos, 10 km long, is spectacular. Inside the other very near gorge of the area the Ramni-Macheri you will come across the Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos as well as of Agios Mamas.
- In case that you would like to enjoy a day at Samomas Guesthouses, there is, after all, a pool to swim in and to relax. Perhaps get some exercise. A small gym with regular workout equipment is at your disposal. Or, if you prefer, you can rent a bicycle and explore the area on two wheels.
- Fancy a quick snack? The mews on the hillside, the tiny 4-house cluster that is Samonas the place to stay and just be, has its own authentic kafeneio for guests...help yourself to coffee and snacks, soft drinks, and basics and just leave the money in the jar - trusted, yes you are!
- Feel more active you can tackle the famous Samaria Gorge on a long day trip
- Visit Chania (40 min drive), with its lovely, picturesque Venetian fishing harbor, an Archaeological Museum housed in a former church, unique pedestrian alleys lined with arty shops, and an indoor market selling local products, herbs, and delicatessen
- There are boat trips from Almirida to the sea caves at Drapanos and from Chania to Agii Theodorii island, or maybe you would like to visit the well-known, spectacular Balos Beach from Kissamos Port (around 1.5 hours drive) -
- Rethymno (around 45 mins drive) is another Venetian town in Crete and a worth visit for its cobbled streets, Ottoman minarets, colorful old harbor, and an impressive 16th-century Venetian fortress
- The nearest beach in Kalyves is located at a distance of 12 km, while you may also visit the beach of Almyrida (14 km) and Georgioupoli (30 km), all clean and awarded with the blue flags The nearby long beach of Georgioupolis (20 mins) has great windsurfing, but if you prefer smaller, fine sandy beaches then you should visit Marathi or Stavros Beach- both near Chania airport (45 mins' drive) perfect for young kids to splash in as well
- If you're feeling more adventurous, drive over the mountain - past small, traditional villages and cypress groves - and head down a small road to the rocky coast and blue color sea of Ombrosgialos; there's a seasonal taverna too with quite good food.
- More uplifting activities in West Crete
- Check-in: 12.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
Samonas Inn is located at the Apokoronas region in west Crete.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (34km) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (126km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights from our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing. A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. The new Athens airport makes this a slightly slower process because it is further from the port, but it's worth the extra time for a still-romantic way to travel. And then take the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (78km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Rich Cretan breakfast and a basic welcome pack placed at each house upon arrival. The kitchen is adequately equipped for most meals, and there is a choice of indoor or outdoor dining. The one and only taverna in the village offers homemade Cretan cooking with fresh and local ingredients. Another taverna is a few minutes, on the drive down to the village of Provarma - and in another minute's drive, you can be seated outdoors by the water springs at Stylos. "Kafeneio" / shop-like small communal indoor area with books, guide books, DVD films, and board games. Here you could drink tsikoudia, wine, herbs tea, and Greek coffee. Shop with basics (pasta, olive oils. jam, coffee, teas, bread, soft drinks, crackers ... and Cretan wines). Have prices on and you leave the money in a tin("honour" system). The settlement also includes a large traditional wood oven and barbecue.
- Swimming Pool: Round swimming pool (about 40 m2, 3.6 m diameter) - full in the winter. For months of April and October, the swimming pool could be heated for free, upon request.
- Spa Treatments: A well-equipped gym (treadmill, workout machine, sit-up bench, weights, power plate) and Turkish bath (no charge)
- Disabled Access: Not Suitable
- Pets: Pets are allowed only at Mantzourana, a small house for pets is provided. Samonas is a pet-friendly hotel certified by the woof club
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, German
- Internet Access: Internet access wireless broadband
- Parking: Parking off-street
- Extra Facilities on Charge: Ecological Firewood, Excursions, Personal Trainer, Massage, Steambath Sauna, Baby Sitting, Cretan Chef, Starter pack with anything you want to have at your house upon your arrival, Special decoration for your anniversary ... and any other special requirement you maybe have.