Weaving your way along the scenic, winding roads, just inland from where the sea and several great Cretan beaches always seems to be well within reach, then a little way down a smaller, rural road – suddenly you have arrived in one of the charming villages on the Apokoronas peninsula near Chania..
With beach and sea close and the surrounding, rolling foothill landscapes, Natalia's houses provide an unusual blend of small hotel feel, in an intimate, warm and hospitable setting, with the privacy of self-contained facilities. A friendly, family welcome may sound like a cliché, but it is very much alive here.
Natalia's has accommodation for one, for a couple, or a family to enjoy. With its stone and wood beams, its features include gallery bedrooms, loft-like shapes, and arches to inspire.
A small pool and pool-side café, for the use of all guests. Sit down for a coffee, for breakfast,, in the café-restaurant taverna and chat to fellow visitors. Or grill something tasty in your own private kitchen!
As an added convenience, an on-location mini-market has many of the things you will need to get started preparing your own meals. Only a few minutes away, Vamos Village has a supermarket. Or just 10 minutes away in Kalyves, you will find several shops, greengrocers, butchers and supermarkets.
Douliana is a small, pretty, traditional village with narrow streets and a tiny village square. Sitting above Souda Bay, it is surrounded by olive groves with views to the White Mountains and Souda Bay itself. In the village, a taverna (a welcome 5-minute stroll), offers you cosy indoor or airy outdoor dining - for a snack at lunchtime or a supper beyond sunset, lingering on into the star-lit night. Earlier in the day, you may have joined locals for a Greek coffee at the kafenio where the news of the day, the farm prices for olive oil, and a welcome "hello" to you will all be offered. A smile is all it takes.
When your morning in the village is complete, drive down to the beach at Almyrida, Kalyves, or Kera. Meander that winding, scenic road to the calm hospitality at Georgioupoli, and then onward to visit the fortress and the ancient city streets of Rethymno. Or less distant, take a look at the cute and curious shops in Chania's old Venetian harbour town. Find a café to watch the people… watching the people... going by! Get a taste of culture!
Perhaps just stay where you are - there are terraces to sit out on, a pre-dinner drink to have at the cafe, a book to absorb a just bit more.
If you feel creative, you might cook a locally made pasta, sprinkle some fragrant herbs from the very hillsides you wake up gazing upon as the morning’s light shows you what is important to the day. Or perhaps with renewed energy, drive down to Kalyves beachfront. There, choose one of the three really good tavernas and let the sun remain too hot for a few more minutes before it cools into evening just as your dolmades, fava, and grilled lamb arrive.... Or immerse yourself in the countryside and discover the tastes of food prepared at another enjoyable taverna, Diadromes, just before the village of Armeni.
- Hotel Name: Natalia’s Houses
- Area: Chania, Douliana
- Why Go: Peaceful Rural Setting in Village,Village Athmosphere,Quality of service,Family-Friendly,Quiet location,Food & Wine,Relaxed,Rural,Pool
Why we like it
- Vaso, Andreas, and Natalia offer the best in hospitality and comfort and will be glad to share their traditions with you. They have constructed the houses themselves with passion, determination, and respect to local architecture.
- A very special place in lovely Crete - the light, the location, the handcrafted rooms, the unbelievably kind and generous owners (Vaso and Andreas). Just take a walk with Vaso and you’ll come back with your pockets full of lemons, pomegranates, olives, carob… Then go into your kitchen and make some wonderful little meal. You will want to come back again and again!
- A genuine invitation to relax and discover the Cretan traditions and the lovely unique area of Apokoronas.
What to know
- The Houses are not suitable for disabled people.
- We highly recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Rooms:||4||Family hospitality :|
|Pool:||Yes||Nice atmosphere. :|
|Dining:||Small Taverna||Architecture & style :|