Villa Athermigo is nestled in Apokoronas Chania area, in Agios Pavlos nearby the picturesque Gavalochori Village a short drive away from the sea.
It is an ancient monument, a remarkable example of local, traditional architecture. If you add harmony, tranquility, privacy, high aesthetics, warm and gracious hospitality then you might have a good idea of this very characterful property.
Villa Athermigo is a deluxe private estate and consists of a privately-owned oil press that has been converted into a restaurant-living room, and three independent suites named after the trees that grace their entrances. The Elia (Olive tree), Rodia (Pomegranate tree) and Karydia (Walnut tree) suites that can accommodate a maximum of 10 guests. The property is rented in its entirety as a villa or as individual self-contained Cottage Houses (Elia Cottage House with Sharing Pool, Rodia Cottage House with Sharing Pool & Karydia Cottage House with Sharing Pool), each sleeping between 2 and 4 people.
The suites, two quadruples and one double, reveal a successful blend of new and old; rustic on the outside, country-chic on the inside and they are spacious, comfortable and tastefully decorated. Bathrooms, partly open-plan, are especially stylish.
Athermigo is a little paradise, rustic on the outside, country-chic on the inside has recently been given a new lease of life as a private retreat for a group of friends or family.
An 18th century restored olive press. Elements such as the main entrance, the stone openings, the interior patio, the traditional exterior oven, the well and the semi-circular arches typical of the architecture of the time, as well as the original oil extraction machinery, have all been preserved intact.
Immense love and care has been lavished on this ancient house and the careful restoration was carried out with full respect to the place’s original architecture and spirit. This renovation process resulted in a luxurious and contemporary guest house with a great garden overflowing with fruit trees providing shady sitting corners, colorfoul flowers and herbs.
The luxurious and atmospheric lounge area and kitchen, blissful chill-out pool, courtyard and garden give the sense and scale of a boutique hotel, yet with total exclusivity and a array of pampering services for guests to choose from. The gorgeous chill-out swimming pool (100% ecological with saltwater filtration system) is ideal situated providing privacy and peace.
The name, “Athermigo”, is derived from the unique olive oil of the same name that boasts traditional methods of extraction and production – never has such small quantity enclosed such unsurpassed quality. Only a few have been fortunate enough to taste it: the workers of the traditional oil press and those closest to them savored this pure olive oil. This therapeutic, healing oil. This “sacred” oil.
- Hotel Name: Villa Athermigo
- Area: Chania, Gavalochori
- Why Go: Peaceful Rural Setting in Village,Village Athmosphere,Quiet location,Elegant,Family-Friendly,Friendly enviroment,Mountains,Private Pool,Romantic,Rustic
Why we like it
- We love the beautiful suites and the gorgeous gardens, and the feeling of complete peace and quiet. This is a true retreat.
- In the heart of this small and most pleasingly friendly, traditional village three autonomous renovated stone-built traditional suites with mountain views in order to live a unique Cretan experience.
- Gavalochori Village is near Chania (half an hour by car) and in an area of attractive rolling hills, speckled with villages. It has some lovely tavernas for sampling Crete's famously healthy cuisine. Within a short drive of sea and sandy beaches, attractive villages nearby.
- A true challenge to relaxation and discovery of the Cretan traditions and the lovely unique area of Apokoronas.
- The pool is divine and almost chlorine-free, so no worries at all in case that your children will spend all day in it. Time to read a great book for you.
What to know
- The villa is normally only given for group and family bookings or as individual self-contained Cottage Houses (Elia Cottage House with Sharing Pool, Rodia Cottage House with Sharing Pool & Karydia Cottage House with Sharing Pool), each sleeping between 2 and 4 people.
- We recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent (you cannot reach Villa Athermigo by public transport).
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Villas||Architecture & style :|
|Pool:||Private Pool||Weddings & Groups :|
|Dining:||Yes||Nice atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome||Village Atmosphere :|